Marangu Nature & Culture: Coffee Tour, Waterfall, Chagga and Masai History
Full day from: €60
You will hike through the foothills of the Roof of Africa, the majestic Kilimanjaro, and spend a day among the nature and culture of the Marangu mountain village.
Swim in the waterfall, harvest and process coffee beans in a traditional way swinging your body to the songs of the villagers, taste freshly-cooked Chagga dishes during a lavish lunch, learn the history and the customs of Chagga mountain tribe who call Kilimanjaro lowlands and highlands their home.
Moshi – Marangu – Coffee Farm – Chagga Hut – Ndoro Waterfall – Moshi
- Driving distance: 80 km (roundtrip)
- Driving time: 2 hrs
- Activities: Waterfall Hike; Coffee Tour; Chagga Hut and Caves; Traditional Lunch; Chemka Hot Springs (optionally)
Depart from your accommodation in Moshi town for exciting adventures at the foot of Mt. Kilimanjaro. If you are staying in Arusha, we have also got you covered: we will add the extra transfers for you.
Walk along the slopes of the highest peak in Africa to reach a picturesque waterfall located at an altitude of about 1500 m. There are three popular waterfalls in this area: Ndoro, Kilasiya and Kimukamori, with Ndoro being the biggest and the most popular one. Enjoy adventurous hiking along a mountain village and swim in the brisk water.
Engage with locals on your way, tasting locally brewed banana beer. On clear days you will have the chance to capture the views of the snow-capped Uhuru peak, and we will try our best to show you the views from the best perspective.
Later on, our local guide, an indigenous Chagga tribesman, will take you on a coffee tour on the plantation of banana and coffee trees. You will be provided an opportunity to learn all the stages of the organic coffee growing and processing: from the beans ripening on the trees to the steaming drink in your cup. Participate in all stages actively: roast and grind the coffee beans with your own hands to the catchy tunes of the friendly Chagga villagers.
In-depth cultural excursions will immerse you in the daily life and customs of the Chagga mountain tribe in their traditional hut. Enter ancient Chagga caves: a complex system of underground passages whose walls preserve the thrilling history of old Masai-Chagga tribal conflicts.
Taste freshly-cooked local Tanzanian dishes in the mountain village surrounded by banana plantations, and enjoy a steaming cup of handmade organic coffee.
Time permitting, continue your late afternoon with us in Chemka Hot Springs, swimming in the warm water and having fun from rope swings, tire tubing and jumping out of the trees in the natural oasis.
After the trip, we will take you back to your accommodation in Moshi, or provide an extra transfer to Kilimanjaro Airport or to Arusha.
- Meal plan: lunch
- All transfers (from/to Moshi) according to the itinerary
- All activities according to the itinerary, except optional Chemka Hot Springs visit
- All entrance fees to the attractions
- All government taxes and fees
- Meals according to the itinerary
- Drinking water
- Services of English-speaking local guide
- 24/7 information support from your travel manager and safari coordinator
What’s not included:
- Optional transfer to/from Arusha ($80 per group/minivan for one-way)
- Optional transfer to/from Kilimanjaro Airport ($55 per group/minivan for one-way)
- Optional Chemka Hot Springs visit (from $25 to $60 per person, based on number of travelers)
- Tipping for the guide and the driver (at your own discretion)
- To dive into the Nature & Culture of Kilimanjaro foothills:
|Price per person
Children 5-12 years