Kilimanjaro: Jeep Ascent & Hike to Shira Plateau (3600 meters)
Full Day. From €240
Will you join our fun and adventurous expedition to Shira Plateau in Kilimanjaro? This compact, easy, extremely budget-friendly and beautiful journey through diverse landscapes, from enchanting tropical forests to the mysterious heathers and moorland zone, will add up so much to your safari adventure. The magic of one of the 7 Natural Wonders of Africa in a single unforgettable day has never been so easily accessible!
Moshi – Londorossi Gate (2250 m) – Morum Barrier (3405 m) – Shira Plateau (3600 m) – Moshi
- Driving distance: 165 km (roundtrip)
- Driving time: 4 hrs
- Activities: Scenic Drive; Hiking; Mountain Picnic Lunch
Early in the morning of your Kilimanjaro day trip, we will pick you up at your hotel. An active day in Tanzania’s highland wilderness awaits. The scenic drive to your destination in West Kilimanjaro takes you through a tropical forest reserve, where you can look out for black-and-white colobuses and blue monkeys in the trees.
Your vehicle will bring you up to the Morrum picnic site at 3400 m above sea level where your hike through the beautifully rugged landscape of Shira Plateau starts. Get out of the car, lace up your shoes and take in the sounds, smells, and colors of Tanzania’s stunning heather and moorland zone in Kilimanjaro National Park.
Along different trails and accompanied by our trained mountain guide, you can enjoy views of Kibo, Kilimanjaro’s highest peak standing tall at 5895 m, and its northern glaciers, when the weather permits.
The vast plains of neighboring Amboseli National Park in Kenya and the deep gorge of the Simba River contrast the views of the world’s highest free-standing mountain. We will finally reach Shira 1 Camp at the altitude of 3600 m, which serves as a second overnight shelter for those who climb Kilimanjaro via the Lemosho route.
Hike at your own pace and enjoy a picnic lunch under the open sky along the way or when you return back to Morrum picnic site. It’s a moderate hike and you don’t need to be an athlete to be able to enjoy it.
However, at 3600m the air is thinner, so pace your steps, enjoy the untouched landscapes and the presence of the mighty Kilimanjaro. After around of 4-4.5 hours of hike – or earlier, if your legs get tired – we start taking you back to your hotel in Moshi. If your accommodation is in Arusha, or if you have an evening flight to Zanzibar or back to your home country, we will provide an extra transfer to Kilimanjaro Airport or to Arusha.
Time permitting, before going back to your accommodation, join us for a short trip to Chemka Hot Springs, where you can relax your muscles in the warm water and have fun from rope swings, tire tubing and jumping out of the trees in the natural oasis.
- Meal plan: lunch
- All transfers (from/to Moshi) according to the itinerary, including mountain ascent
- All activities according to the itinerary, except optional Chemka Hot Springs visit
- All entrance fees to Kilimanjaro National Park
- All government taxes and fees
- Meals according to the itinerary
- Drinking water
- Services of English-speaking licensed mountain guide
- Emergency assistance and evacuation if necessary, group first-aid kit
- 24/7 information support from your travel manager and safari coordinator
What’s not included:
- Local flights. Read how we can help you.
- Optional transfer to/from Arusha ($70 per group/minivan for one-way)
- Optional transfer to/from Kilimanjaro Airport ($50 per group/minivan for one-way)
- Optional Chemka Hot Springs visit (from $25 to $60 per person, based on number of travelers)
- Tipping for the guide and the driver (at your own discretion)
|Price per person